Consultant Hepatico Pancreato Biliary & Transplant Surgeon
- Assessment of the effect of interval from presentation to surgery on outcome in patients with peri-ampullary malignancy.
Amr B, Shahtahmassebi G, Briggs CD, Bowles MJ, Aroori S, Stell DA. HPB (Oxford). 2016 Apr;18(4):354-9. doi: 10.1016/j.hpb.2015.10.013. Epub 2016 Feb 3.
- Delayed diagnosis of alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency following post-hepatectomy liver failure: A case report.
Norton B, Denson J, Briggs C, Bowles M, Stell D, Aroori S. World J Gastroenterol. 2016 Mar 21;22(11):3289-95. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v22.i11.3289.
- The pre-operative rate of growth of colorectal metastases in patients selected for liver resection does not influence post-operative disease-free survival.
Wigeons MG, Shahtahmassebi G, Aroori S, Bowles MJ, Briggs C, Stell DA. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016 Mar;42(3):426-32. doi: 10.1016/j.ejso.2015.09.016. Epub 2015 Sep 30.
- Laparoscopic Distal Pancreatectomy Using the Modified Prolonged Prefiring Compression Technique Reduces Pancreatic Fistula.
Ariyarathenam AV, Bunting D, Aroori S. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2015 Oct;25(10):821-5. doi: 10.1089/lap.2015.0200. Epub 2015 Sep 22.
- Outcome after pancreaticoduodenectomy for T3 adenocarcinoma: A multivariable analysis from the UK Vascular Resection for Pancreatic Cancer Study Group.
Elbert H, Ravikumar R, Sabin C, Abu Hilal M, Al-Hilli A, Aroori S, Bond-Smith G, Bramhall S, Coldham C, Hammond J, Hutchins R, Imber C, Preziosi G, Saleh A, Silva M, Simpson J, Spoletini G, Stell D, Terrace J, White S, Wigmore S, Fusai G. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2015 Nov;41(11):1500-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ejso.2015.08.158. Epub 2015 Aug 28.
- Clinical assessment before hepatectomy identifies high-risk patients. Ulyett S, Wiggans MG, Bowles MJ, Aroori S, Briggs CD, Erasmus P, Minto G, Stell DA.
J Surg Res. 2015 Sep;198(1):87-92. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2015.05.044. Epub 2015 May 29.
- The Interaction between Diabetes, Body Mass Index, Hepatic Steatosis, and Risk of Liver Resection: Insulin Dependent Diabetes Is the Greatest Risk for Major Complications. Wigeons MG, Lordan JT, Shahtahmassebi G, Aroori S, Bowles MJ, Stell DA. HPB Surg. 2014;2014:586159. doi: 10.1155/2014/586159. Epub 2014 Aug 14.
- Socioeconomic status influences the likelihood but not the outcome of liver resection for colorectal liver metastasis. Wiggans MG, Shahtahmassebi G, Aroori S, Bowles MJ, Stell DA. HPB (Oxford). 2014 Jul 3. doi: 10.1111/hpb.12290. [Epub ahead of print]
- The cost-effectiveness of wound-edge protection devices compared to standard care in reducing surgical site infection after laparotomy: an economic evaluation alongside the ROSSINI trial. Gheorghe A, Roberts TE, Pinkney TD, Bartlett DC, Morton D, Calvert M; West Midlands Research Collaborative; ROSSINI Trial Investigators. PLoS One. 2014 Apr 18;9(4):e95595. doi:
- Portal vein resection in borderline resectable pancreatic cancer: a United Kingdom multicenter study. Ravikumar R, Sabin C, Abu Hilal M, Bramhall S, White S, Wigmore S, Imber CJ, Fusai G; UK Vascular Resection in Pancreatic Cancer Study Group. J Am Coll Surg. 2014 Mar; 218(3): 401-11.
- Serum arterial lactate concentration predicts mortality and organ dysfunction following liver resection. Wiggans MG, Starkie T, Shahtahmassebi G, Woolley T, Birt D, Erasmus P, Anderson I, Bowles MJ, Aroori S, Stell DA. Perioper Med (Lond). 2013 Oct 7; 2(1): 21
- Assessment of the Value of MRI Scan in Addition to CT in the Pre-operative Staging of Colorectal Liver Metastases. Wiggans MG, Shahtahmassebi G, Aroori S, Bowles MJ, Jackson SA, Stell DA. J Gastrointest Cancer. 2014 Jan 10.
- Partial Preservation of Segment IV Confers No Benefit When Performing Extended Right Hepatectomy for Colorectal Liver Metastases. Wiggans MG, Fisher S, Adwan H, Aroori S, Bowles MJ, Stell DA. HPB Surg. 2013; Epub 2013 Dec 11.
- Renal dysfunction is an independent risk factor for mortality after liver resection and the main determinant of outcome in posthepatectomy liver failure. Wiggans MG, Shahtahmassebi G, Bowles MJ, Aroori S, Stell DA. HPB Surg. 2013; Epub 2013 Nov 5.
- The Preoperative Assessment of Hepatic Tumours: Evaluation of UK Regional Multidisciplinary Team Performance. Wiggans MG, Jackson SA, Fox BM, Mitchell JD, Aroori S, Bowles MJ, Armstrong EM, Shirley JF, Stell DA. HPB Surg. 2013; Epub 2013 Aug 22.
- The comparison of outcomes between pancreaticogastrostomy and pancreaticojejunostomy: following pancreaticoduodenectomy. Somaiah Aroori, Puneet Puneet, Simon R. Bramhall, Paolo Muiesan, A. David Mayer, Darius F. Mirza, John C. Buckels, John Isaac. HPB Surgery; 1477-2574.2011.
- Impact of wound edge protection devices on surgical site infection after laparotomy: multicentre randomised controlled trial (ROSSINI Trial). Pinkney TD, Calvert M, Bartlett DC, Gheorghe A, Redman V, Dowswell G, Hawkins W, Mak T, Youssef H, Richardson C, Hornby S, Magill L, Haslop R, Wilson S, Morton D; West Midlands Research Collaborative; ROSSINI Trial Investigators. BMJ. 2013 Jul 31; 347
- Messenger D, Aroori S, Vipond M. Five-year prospective follow up of 430 laparoscopic totally extraperitoneal (TEP) inguinal hernia repairs. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010 Apr; 92(3): 201-5
- M McCavert, ME O’Donnell, Aroori S, B McAree, T Lieo, RAJ Spence. Ultrasound is a useful adjunct to mammography in the assessment of breast tumours in all patients. Int J Clin Pract. 2009 Nov; 63(11): 1589-94.
- Aroori S, Blencowe N, Pye G, West R. Clostridium difficile: How much does hospital staff know about it? Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2009 Sep; 91(6): 464-9.
- Aroori S, Spence RAJ. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Ulster Med J. 2008 Jan; 77 (1): 6-17
- Aroori S, Spence RAJ. Chronic pain following inguinal hernia repair: An informed consent issue. Ulster Med J 2007; 76 (3) 136-140
- Aroori S, Parshad R, Kapoor A, Gupta SD, Kumar A, Chattophadyay TK. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in squamous cell carcinoma of the oesophagus using low dose continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin: Results of a prospective study. Indian J Cancer. 2004 Jan-Mar; 41(1): 3-7
- J Boyer, E McLean, Aroori S, P Wilson, A McCulla, D Longley, P D Carey, P G Johnston. Characterization of p53 wild-type and null isogenic colorectal cancer cell lines resistant to 5-fluorouracil, oxaliplatin, and irinotecan. Clin Cancer Res. 2004 Mar 15; 10 (6): 2158-67
- Aroori S, R Parthasarathy, C Jack, SG Jacob. Tongue necrosis: A rare manifestation of giant cell arteritis. BMJ. 2004; 398: 296
- B Little, Aroori S, S Lucy, J Clarke. Practical skills acquisition during the houseman years. Med Educ. 2003 Apr; 37(4): 387
- Aroori S, J C Bell: Laparoscopic exploration of Common bile duct: our initial experience: Ulster Medical Journal 2002; 71(1): 22-25
- Aroori S. Helicobacter pylori (Review). Gastroenterology Today. 2001; 5(3)
- Published Abstracts
- Western CE, Wiggans M, Aroori S, Bowles M, Stell D. Preoperative neutrophil:lymphocyte ratio is not a predictor of outcome following hepatic resection for colorectal metastases. Gut. 2012; 61 (S2): A109.
- Western CE, Aroori S, Bowles M, Stell D. Preoperative neutrophil:lymphocyte ratio does not predict post-operative complications following hepatic resection.
Gut. 2012; 61 (S2): A192.
- Aroori S, Gunson B, Mirza D, Muiesan P, Mayer D, Buckels J, and Bramhall S. Comparison of Model for End-Stage Liver Disease (MELD) & United Kingdom End-Stage Liver Disease (UKELD) Scores As A Predictor for Death on the Liver Transplant Waiting List and As A Predictor of Mortality Following Liver Transplantation. Transplantation: July 27, 2010 – Volume 90 – Issue – pg 15
- Aroori S, Puneet, Gunson B, Mirza D, Muiesan P, Mayer D, Buckels J, and Bramhall S. Cost-Effectiveness of Mycophenolate Moefetil and Tacrolimus Compared To Azathioprine and Tacrolimus Following Orthotopic Liver Transplantation (OLT) Transplantation: July 27, 2010 – Volume 90 – Issue – pg 215
- M McCavert, ME O’Donnell, Aroori S, B McAree, T Lieo, RAJ Spence. The effect of age on the role of ultrasound in triple assessment at a symptomatic breast clinic. Association of Surgeons in Training Yearbook 2008, pg 29.
- Aroori S, N. Blencowe, S. Chinti, R. Fallaize, G. Pye, R. West. How much does hospital staff know about Clostridium Difficile? Br J Surg 2007, 94 (Suppl 2): 2.
- E Whitehead, Aroori S and K B Hosie. Wider impacts of the 2-week colorectal cancer ruling. BJS May 2006; 93;S1
- D S Jeyaretna, Aroori S and AW Lambert. What price to be paid for surgical training? BJS May 2006; 93;S1
- Aroori S, N Jain, D S Jeyaretna, A Valliattu, E Whitehead and KB Hosie. Impact of two-week referral rule on new patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Gut April 2006; 55; S2
- Aroori, S; Spence, R; Chronic Pain Following Inguinal Hernia Repair. A Clinical Problem? The Surgeon (supplement) June 2005; 3:P02.5
- Aroori, S; Hosie, KB; Bryson, P. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for Pneumatosis Coli: Our Experience. The Surgeon (supplement) June 2005; 3: P16.1
- Aroori, S; Jain, N; Khinhtun, S; Hosie, KB. The Impact of Two-week Referral Initiative on the Referral Pattern of Patients with Suspected Inflammatory Bowel Disease. The Surgeon (supplement) June 2005; 3: P16.2
- Aroori S, MK Roy, P D Carey. Gelatinase expression in colorectal carcinoma. Iri J Med Sci; 172(3): Supplement 2
- Aroori S, B Little, P D Carey, JAA Archbold. Appropriateness of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy: hospital based retrospective study. Gut; 2003; 52 (Suppl I):
- Aroori S, S Govindaraj, C Loughrey, A Kennedy and PD Carey: Enteral feeding via jejunostomy in gastro intestinal resectional surgery. Iri J Med Sci; 171(3): Supplement 2, No.31
- Aroori S, S Matthews, N Collum, P D Carey: Primary gastric lymphoma: 13years experience. Iri J Med Sci 171(3): Supplement 2, No.36
- Aroori S, SG Jacob: Helicobacter pylori: Eradication therapy and the clinical practice of hospital consultants in United Kingdom. Gut; April 2002; 50 (Suppl II)
- Aroori S, D Thomas, K Wareham, C Phillips, W Y Cheung, A Napier, I Russell and P D Carey. Leukocyte depletion and post-operative infection; a multi-centre randomised controlled trial. BJS 2002,89,653
Book & Book Chapters
- MCQs for FRCS Exit Examination: Somaiah Aroori and Puneet. Master Pass, Radcliffe Publishing Ltd, London, March 2011
- Cystic lesions of Pancreas: Puneet and Somaiah Aroori. Roshan Lal Gupta’s Recent Advances in Surgery 2013
- Management of Hepatocellular carcinoma: S. Aroori. Roshan Lal Gupta’s Recent Advances in Surgery 2013
Presentations to Learned Societies
- Ghaddar J, Paxton W, Briggs C, Aroori S. Post operative surgical drains after Pancreaticoduodenectomy. Single versus dual drainage. Poster presentation in International Surgical Conference, 28-30 March 2014, Belfast, UK
- Bunting D, Aroori S. Comparison of outcomes following Laparosocpic vs. Open liver resections. Single surgeons experience. Poster presentation on 12-13 March 2014, GBIHPBA, Lemington Spa, UK.
- Ariyaretnam A, Bunting D, Aroori S. Laparoscopic Distal Pancreatectomy using the Prolonged Pre-Firing Compression technique prevents severe pancreatic fistula. Poster presentation on 12-13 March 2014, GBIHPBA, Lemington Spa, UK.
- The effect of a single page Enhanced Recovery protocol after Kausch-Whipple’s Pancreato-duodenectomy Hitchins C, Briggs C, Bowles M, Stell D, Minto G, Aroori S. Poster presentation on 12-13 March 2014, GBIHPBA, Lemington Spa, UK.
- Initial experience with a multimodal Enhanced Recovery programme in patients undergoing liver resection. Hitchins C, Briggs C, Bowles M, Stell D, Minto G, Aroori S. Poster presentation on 12-13 March 2014, GBIHPBA, Lemington Spa, UK.
- Laparoscopic Left Hemi-hepatectomy for a large breast cancer metastasis with left portal vein involvement. Bunting D, Aroori S. DVD presentation on 14-15 November 2012, ALSGBI, RCSEngland, London, UK.
- Lordan J, Wigand M, Bowles M, Aroori S, Stell D. The relationships between patients’ BMI, diabetes, liver directed chemotherapy, fatty liver disease and peri-operative outcomes after liver Resection” poster presentation at the 2013 AUGIS Annual Scientific Meeting
- Reena R, S. White, M. Abu Hilal, S. Bramhall, M. Silva, D. Stell, R. Hutchins, J. Simpson, S. Wigmore, C. Sabin, C. Imber, G. Fusai for the UK Vascular Resection for Pancreatic Cancer Study Group. Portal Vein Resection in Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer: A UK Multicentre Review. Presented in 16th Congress of the European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO), 19-21 September 2012, Valencia, Spain
- Western CE, Wiggans M, Aroori S, Bowles M, Stell D. Preoperative Neutrophil:lymphocyte ratio is not a predictor of outcome following hepatic resection for colorectal metastases. Poster presentation: the Digestive Diseases Federation Annual Meeting, Liverpool
- Western CE, Aroori S, Bowles M, Stell D. Preoperative Neutrophil:lymphocyte ratio does not predict post-operative complications following hepatic resection. Poster presentation: the Digestive Diseases Federation Annual Meeting, Liverpool.
- Sofia M, Aroori S, Bramhall S, Isaac J, Mirza D, Mayer D, Buckels J. Single centre experience with one thousand consecutive pancreaticoduodenectomies: Has anything changed? Presented in the 11th European Hepato-pancreatico-biliary Association (EHPBA) meeting, 16-19 April 2011 Cape Town, South Africa
- Monaco A, Aroori S, Taricotti L, Coldham C, Buckels J, Bramhall S. The safety and outcomes following Multi-visceral pancreatic resections. Accepted for poster presentation in the European Surgical oncology Society meeting. September 2010, France
- Aroori S, Puneet, Mirza D, Mayer D, Buckels J, Bramhall S, Isaac J. The comparison of incidence of pancreatic fistula and other outcomes between pancreaticojejunostomay and pancreactiogastrostomy: Our experience with 424 patients. Poster presentation in the European Surgical oncology Society meeting. September 2010, France
- Aroori S, Puneet, Gunson B, Mirza D, Muiesan P, Mayer D, Buckels J, and Bramhall S Comparison of Model for End-Stage liver disease (MELD) & United Kingdom End-Stage Liver Disease (UKELD) scores as a predictor for death on the liver transplant waiting list and as a predictor of mortality following liver transplantation. Oral presentation in XXIII International Transplantation congress meeting, August 2010, Vancouver, Canada,
- Aroori S, Sandhu B, Gunson B, Mirza D, Muiesan P, Mayer D, Buckels J, and Bramhall S. Mycophenolate moeftil (MMF) and low dose Tacrolimus based immunosuppressive regimen following Orthotopic liver transplantation (OLT): Is it cost-effective?” International Liver Transplantation Society meeting, 16-19 June 2010, Hongkong,
- Aroori S, Sandhu B, Gunson B, Mirza D, Muiesan P, Mayer D, Buckels J, and Bramhall S. Mycophenolate moeftil (MMF) and low dose Tacrolimus based immunosuppressive regimen following Orthotopic liver transplantation (OLT): Is it cost-effective? ” Presented in the British Transplantation Society meeting, March 2010, London
- Aroori S, Blencowe N, Fernardo R, Pye G, West R. The influence of age on the outcome of emergency abdominal surgery. Presented in May 2009 at ASGBI meeting in Glasgow
- Aroori S, Ansley-Watson C, Causton S, Shepherd N, Barr H. The role of endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) in Barrett’s oesophagus with High-grade dysplasia (HGD), intramucosal cancer, and invasive Adenocarcinoma. 23-25 September 2008, AUGIS Annual Scientific Meeting in Liverpool (Poster of Distinction)
- Aroori S, Schmidt K, Lyburn I, Vipond NM. The role of PET-CT in staging of the patients with Oesophageal cancer. 23-25 September 2008, AUGIS Annual Scientific Meeting in Liverpool
- D S Jeyaretna, Aroori S and AW Lambert. What price to be paid for surgical training? ASGBI Annual Scientific Meeting May 2006, Edinburgh
- Aroori S, Buckley M, Spence RAJ. Is ultrasound of additional value to mammography in the diagnosis of breast cancer? BASO Meeting 14-15 November 2005, The Royal College of Surgeons of England, London
- Aroori S, Loughrey C, Kennedy A, Carey PD. Feeding jejunostomy following gastro-oesophageal resectional surgery for malignancy. BASO Meeting, 14-15 November 2005, The Royal College of Surgeons of England, London
- P Wilson, J Boyer, E McLean, Aroori S, A McCulla, P G Johnston. Investigation of drug resistance using 2-D-gel electrophoresis and ion mass spectrometry. Presented in 94th American Association of Cancer Research, 27-31st March 2004, Orlando, Florida, USA
- Aroori S, E McLean, P M Wilson, A McCulla, J Boyer, PD Carey. Identification of predictive markers of response to 5-fluorouracil, oxaliplatin and irinotecan. Society of Academic and Research Surgeons meeting, 14-16 January 2004, Belfast, UK
- J Boyer, E McLean, Aroori S, P Wilson, D Longley, P G Johnston. Characterization of p53 wild and p53 null colorectal cell lines resistant to 5-FU, Oxaliplatin and CPT-11. 93rd American Association of Cancer Research meeting, July 2003, Washington, USA
- Aroori S, B Little, PD Carey, JAA Archbold. Appropriateness of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy: hospital based retrospective study. British Society of Gastroenterology meeting, 24 March 2003, Birmingham, UK
- Aroori S, SG Jacob. Helicobacter pylori eradication: Clinical practice of hospital consultants across United Kingdom. British Society of Gastroenterology meeting, 17-18 March 2002, Birmingham, UK
- Aroori S, D Thomas, K Wareham, A Napier, P D Carey. Leukocyte depletion and post-operative infection; a multi-center randomised controlled trial. Society of Academic and Research Surgery meeting, 3-4 January 2002, Imperial College, London, UK
- Readmission rates following laparoscopic donor nephrectomies. Basem A, Perskova, Aroori S
- Role of Doppler probe in renal transplantation. Taha, Uvyett, S, Aroori S
- Venous Thromboprophylaxis in Surgical Patients. Butterworth J, Salimin L, Aroori S
- The role of MRCP in patients with abnormal liver function tests and gallstones. Tanasei A, Aroori S
- The effect of ERAS pathways on hospital stay and morbidity, and re-admission rate following pancreatic and liver resections. C Higgins, Aroori S
- Drains following Pancreatico-duodenectomy: Are they useful? J Ahamad, W Paxton, Briggs C, Aroori S.
- Preservation fluid and ureteric tips. Harrison A, Cunningham, Akoh J, Barwell J, Aroori S, Rowe P.
- Multi-visceral pancreatic resections (MVR): Safety and outcomes at Liver unit, QEH, Birmingham. This audit was carried out to examine the mortality and morbidity following extended pancreatic resections for various indications at the Liver Unit, QEH, Birmingham. The audit revealed that the mortality was significantly higher following MVR than the standard Whipple’s operation. However, in highly selective cases extended pancreatic resections were beneficial with excellent surgical outcomes. The audit recommended the performance of multi-visceral resection in highly selected cases.
- The role of Liver resection in Benign liver lesions, at Liver Unit, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham. This audit was carried out to examine the indications and the outcomes following liver resections for benign liver lesions. The results showed that in over 40% of patients the main indication for the liver resection was suspicion of malignancy on pre-operative imaging. Haemangioma, FNH, and adenoma were the most common histological diagnosis and majority of these lesions were picked up on imaging performed for non-specific reasons.
- The causes of leucopoenia and thrombocytopenia following liver transplantation: I and my colleague Ms Ruth Hardstaff carried out this audit project which looked at the various causes of thrombocytopenia and leucopoenia following liver transplantation at Liver Unit, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham. We have found that Mycophenolate, Azathioprine, and Valgancyclovir were the main causes of leucopoenia following liver transplantation.
- The outcome of emergency laparotomy in elderly patients. This audit was carried out to examine the outcomes following emergency general surgery in elderly population at Weston General Hospital, Weston-Super-Mare. We found that the incidence of chest infection and C.difficile infection was high following emergency surgery. We also found that low pre-op albumin, ASA grade, and increasing age were the main predictors of morality following emergency surgery. Following this audit, the antibiotic policy of the Trust was reviewed and certain antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin and cephalosporins) were made available on case-to-case basis after discussion with the microbiologist. Several measures were introduced to increase the staff knowledge and awareness about C.difficile infection. The results of this study were presented to ASGBI conference, Manchester 2008
- The role of endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) in Barrett’s oesophagus with High-grade dysplasia (HGD), intra mucosal cancer, and invasive Adenocarcinoma. This audit was carried out to examine the role of EMR in patients with above conditions. The results of this audit were presented in 2008 AUGIS meeting at Liverpool
- The role of Positron Emission Tomography and CT (PET-CT) in staging of the patients with Oesophageal cancer. This audit was carried out to examine the additional value of PET-CT compared to Computed Tomography in the staging of Oesophageal cancer. The results of this study showed that PET-CT has upstaged the disease in 8% and down staged the disease in 12% of patients compared to CT and changed the management in 20% of patients. The results of this study emphasised the importance of the additional value of PET-CT in patients with oesophageal cancer. The results of this study were presented in 2008 AUGIS meeting at Liverpool